Art

Friday, April 6, 2012

Stuart Adamson: The Tragic Poet





Image source



I first encountered the work of Stuart Adamson through his songwriting masterpiece Shattered Cross.
It was covered by the singer Darrell Scott. Ever since I heard the song I became obsessed with Adamson as a poet.

Like many brilliant poets before him, Adamson was also a tortured soul. They say pain makes good art, but Adamson took this phrase as words to live by. Everything I have heard gives the impression that Adamson had a serious fetish for the booze.

Never one to bash the dead though, I think a person should be remembered more for their successes than their sins. Stuart was born in 1958, a year before my father, maybe that is why I feel a more powerful connection to him than I do to most "celebrities"

Stuart first came to major success with the band Big Country, although according to the ever questionable source Wikipedia, he also founded a band called the skids.

The band that I heard him perform with was the Raphaels, via a youtube video made by a fellow Adamson fan. When I mentioned him to a friend, she complained that his accent made him hard to understand, but I think his accent makes him sound unique.

Sadly, Adamson killed himself in December 2001. He was only 43 I think he had more to contribute to the world of music and that he robbed the world of brilliance.

Here are Stuart's song, along w/Darrell's cover.


1 comment:

  1. What a huge loss for everyone, including himself. Always loved Big Country as their sound is so American within the context of country music here in the states. Totally forgot about this extraordinary poet and musician. I was actually introduced to Big Country after reading an interview with Jimmy page and he said Big Country was one of his favorite bands because of their sound and quality of Adamson's lyrics and lead guitar solos. From then on, I was a fan. Huge loss and tortured soul....too bad he couldn't find happiness. He did leave us with his legacy of amazing and touching music. Really great post, JNR. Thanks for the remembrance.

    ReplyDelete