Art

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

William S Burroughs Paintings and Quotes

“It is to be remembered that all art is magical in origin - music, sculpture, writing, painting - and by magical I mean intended to produce very definite results. Paintings were originally formulae to make what is painted happen. Art is not an end in itself, any more than Einstein's matter-into-energy formulae is an end in itself. Like all formulae, art was originally FUNCTIONAL, intended to make things happen, the way an atom bomb happens from Einstein's formulae.” ― William S. Burroughs
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." - William S. Burroughs
"I see painting as an evocative magic, and there must always be a random factor in magic, one which must be constantly changed and renewed." - William S. Burroughs
"Nothing exists until or unless it is observed. An artist is making something exist by observing it. And his hope for other people is that they will also make it exist by observing it. I call it 'creative observation." - William S. Burroughs
"In the magical universe there are no coincidences and there are no accidents. Nothing happens unless someone wills it to happen." - William S. Burroughs
"In my writing I am acting as a map maker, an explorer of psychic areas... a cosmonaut of inner space, and I see no point in exploring areas that have already been thoroughly surveyed." - William S. Burroughs
"I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it." - William S. Burroughs
"Modern man has lost the option of silence. Silence is only frightening to people who are compulsively verbalizing." - William S. Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment